Let me preface this by saying: I love having people reach out to me, but if you expect me to reply you'll have to put forth effort which inspires genuine connection.
Things I'll most likely ignore
- Offers to help hire technical staff — This is something that is wholeheartedly in my existing wheelhouse of skills, the strongest segment of my professional network, and I've spent time helping others the most. I don't need help here unless I ask for it.
- Offers to help build projects — Again I come from a technical background and have an existing network of world-class software engineers in my contacts. If I need to contract work out I'll use that network to hire or expand my search for the right team.
- Offers asking if I want to pay to accept an honor/award — I get these all the time and they don't mean anything to me, my team, our product, our customers, or our ability to build long term sustainability for my business. It's a waste of capital and my time.
- Offers from financial advisors — I'll seek these on my own terms with research.
- Friend Requests, Follows, or Connect Invites where the person doesn't bring any value to my network —- If you're on LinkedIn don't say "I want to connect and get to know more about your impressive work your company does" because you could copy/paste this message to anyone in any role at any company. Spend 5 minutes to get to know me and find something to connect on.
Things I'll most likely respond to
- Messages sent with clear intent — Need something? Pitch the idea to me as to why I should pay attention. I don't need you to save the planet, but making an attempt goes a long ways.
- Genuine Conversations — Let's talk about about industry hurdles, problems you're encountering or think we might be struggling with, or anything remotely conversationally intellectual. Again I'm not looking to set the bar high, but I'm not really into small talk with someone I know well, much less someone I have no background with.
- Tailored Offers — I don't mind be sold to, actually. If your business can actually help mine, my team, or create an unstoppable synergy in the market: I want to hear from you. You just have to pitch me in a way that'll get my attention. Generic sales pitches, bullet points, or white papers aren't that. Have a conversation with me and see what that gets you.
- Public DMs, "@" me, or messages on my page that is engaging at any level.